Saturday, January 12, 2008

Something in the air

I don't even know where to get started with this post. We have done so much since my last update.

Regarding my new Macbook Pro, Apple seems to be stalling until next week, so that they can ship me the Macbook Pro with the new Penryn processor. Well, part of it may have to do with the fact that we freaked out after reading a post on Mac Rumors, called the store, left a message describing the situation and asking for any delay/cancellation options we had (in hopes of delaying the order until Apple started shipping with the new processor, IF that was recommended). That magically resulted in a hold on our order, which we found out later when we called up the store to inquire about the unreturned call. We then looked at all the facts, specs and each other, realized that we could no longer keep sharing only one computer, so we called up the store again, to remove the hold on our order. Besides, we had not intended to put a hold on our order, but simply wanted to chat about the upcoming updates and the potential implications. To be honest, I am still not fully convinced by the 45-nm architecture and the SSE4 instruction set. In the new Penryn T8300 2.4GHz 800MHz the Cache is 3MB instead of 4MB, as in the old T7700 2.4GHz 800MHz MacBook Pro 15"/17". So it actually looks like a bit of a temporary downgrade to me if I were to stick with the 2.4GHz, considering that the developers are only beginning to start creating programs for the new SS4 instruction set...
I also no nothing about computing, so I shouldn't sneer at Apple's newest baby. I am sure that is indeed better to stall, I just want someone to hold my hand and tell me it's worth the wait.

I digress... After we had removed the hold and requested a new delivery estimate, we received an e-mail from the salesperson saying that Apple is doing something interesting. This is what they told me:
"The ETA when ordered was 1-2 weeks. If a new model is due to be released in the very near future, *Apple typically holds orders for the model that is due to be discontinued*, then cancels them once a replacement model is announced (which we then have to resubmit for the equivalent replacement). *Based on the ETA and the timing of the quoting of that ETA, that's usually a hint that the machine will not ship and will be replaced with a new model. "

So yeah. Bring it on, Macworld 2008!!! Something in the air? I hope it's worth the wait.

What have we done besides obsess about news in the Mac realm? Let's see.

We went to about 20 companies to drop off our resumes. We found out that the industry is in a somewhat dire state right now, with the writers' strike and the Canadian dollar kicking butt. I did manage to land an interview, and I did manage to survive it, even though I was the usual anxious, trembling, stuttering mess. It was alright though - I did manage to utter at least a few sentences that made some resemblance of sense. Is there actually anybody out there who has mastered the art of interviewing?

Vancouver truly is the Vansterdam of Northern America. You can smell pot everywhere you go, whether it's on Commercial or between skyscrapers. They have several coffee shops here and supposedly there is even a number you can call to order whatever your heart desires. Like pizza. It definitely gives the otherwise sterile pretty city an interesting vibe.

We had burgers at Vera's Burger Shack, where we inhaled two giant deliciously fresh and yummy burgers. I also had my life's first small KFC taster from the corner store near our home and I am never going back. I liked it so much that it scared me.

We also found our new grocery store - Donald's Market! Packed with piles and piles of fresh greens and fruits, this place is THE haven for anyone seeking to buy organic produce. And I don't even feel cheap for saying this, because this store rocks. Everything in there is chem-free, delicious and droolworthy. An absolute heaven, when you compare it to the Buy-Low or Superstore "organic" sections. Yesterday, we stocked up on Annie's and I loaded up on asparagus, salmon, honeydew melons, spring salad, corn cobs, bananas, cilantro, hippie fairy special salad dressing, non-sugary breakfast crunchies, soy yoghurt, you name it. And the total came to pretty much the same that we paid at other places, except that this time we weren't paying for sugared up cardboard. Yay.

I can't believe that we were even trying to think about convincing ourselves that the two Skytrain stops to Canada's Biggest Superstore weren't a big deal, and we could shop there on a weekly basis, because the deals are all better. Being Virgoes, we were set on exploring all the other options firsthand, before committing to a store to visit on a regular basis. Such a waste of time and brain space. Donald's has all the same stuff for the same price, except several notches up along the quality scale. I'll go to Superstore for tampons maybe.

The customer service rep who managed our bank switch has been tagging after us. He hand wrote a Thank You card and sent it to a mailing address. Today, he called up our landline and wished us a happy weekend. Is this standard procedure for all the new TD customers? Let's hope this customer care stays within reason.

Vancouver buses are neat. The seats are arranged in a manner that allows for maximum communication between the travelers. People regularly jump into each others' conversations, give tips and advice, and are simply there for each other. Today, I watched a middle-aged woman patiently listen to an old man telling her about his new walker and all of its awesome high-tech features. The bus driver actually apologized in front of everybody when she used brakes, and everybody thanked the driver on their way out the bus. Then the sun came out and everybody continued their jolly good days.
I am still getting used to Vancouver the Disneyland. It's just too nice of a place.

1 comments:

weinberg_dara said...

I finally caught up with your blog this week. What a whirlwind! I'm so happy for you and miQ and your macbook pro - buying a pimped-out new computer and moving to this hemisphere are both such good decisions. I can feel your presence in the air. I'm in tech, and cracked out doing a rewrite for Indy, but my plans to visit you in April only become more definite. I shall not fail. Welcome back Krist3l...we missed you so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so much. All my love.