Monday, December 3, 2007

Poke!


So here's a short recap of the acupuncture experience so far.
The whole reason I went to see a doctor was basically because the GP said that my blood looks like I've either been bleeding out of my anus for a couple of weeks or like I've totally worked myself to pieces and the stress has taken its toll. Since I haven't been slipping in puddles of blood lately, I figured it must be the stress and took her advice on seeing an acupuncture therapist.

The first guy I saw works in the radio building on Gonsiori Street. The guy was old and scruffy, but seemed to know what's up. He sat me down, listened to me moan about my job, took my pulse, and got me to show my tongue. He then told me to lay down and take my socks off, and quickly inserted six needles, two in each wrist and one in each foot. So I laid there for about twenty minutes, staring into the fluorescent light bulbs in the ceiling, listening to the traffic jam outside, and the doctor's wheezing breath while he was reading "Eragon". Interestingly enough, none of it really bothered me, and the longer I laid there, the more relaxed I became. After about 20 minutes, the doc got up, took out the needles, put them in a jar and gave them to me to hang on to. I paid him 200 kroons and stumbled out of the door and made my way home.

Originally, I didn't make much of the first session. "Relaxing," I thought to myself, and decided that I would try to find a doctor with a slightly more professional-looking office. However, on my way home, I was swept over by a wave of semi-psychedelic calmness. It was so soothing that I felt like laying down in the snow. I met up with Mike to go pick up some groceries and felt like I had been injected with a bunch of horse sedatives, to the point of not being able to make a decision on which carton of juice to get. The giggly light feeling lasted all through the evening and into the next day.

On Friday morning, I went to see the president of the Estonian Acupuncture Association for the next session. Again, same deal and same effects (+ traditional Chinese music and needles made out of silver, not copper), but this time the "high" only lasted for about two or three hours. Looking back at it though, my boss may have killed my qi that day. Also, the weekend was spent packing and moving, which is always very fun.

As far as I can tell, acupuncture definitely has its benefits, even if it's only a placebo-run endorphine high following the needle insertion. Highly recommended!

3 comments:

weinberg_dara said...

My father had a really great experience with acupuncture, too, and until recently he was going every few weeks for follow-up sessions. He reported the same extreme relaxation benefits. I don't understand how it works...but everyone says it does! I'm so happy it's making you feel better :)

Zack Weinberg said...

I haven't actually read up on it in detail, but I have the impression that acupuncture performs judo on your peripheral nerves, triggering the "release endorphins now" pathway but not the "conscious experience of pain" pathway. So it is an endorphin high, but it's not a placebo. (No way would you be able to do major invasive surgery under acupuncture alone - they really do this in China - if it were a placebo.)

The relaxation effect you describe sounds more like a serotonin or anandamide spike than endorphins, but you can certainly trigger those pathways by tweaking peripheral nerves, too. The delayed reaction is consistent with that - it takes a while for your brain to ramp up production of some of the endogenous mind-altering chemicals.

Unknown said...

There are different natural treatments for a family, Chiropractic (Brooklyn Park, MN), Massage and Acupuncture are among the most preferred natural treatments. A lot of my family members have tried such therapies to keep their bodies in good shape.

A Chiropractor (Brooklyn Park, MN) helped my brother recover by introducing to him a regimen that places pressure on the nerves in his spine. Such procedure can be a very soothing experience similar to Acupuncture.

Thanks for sharing your experience. This would be useful for those people who wants to try acupuncture.